If you want to keep your investment property in excellent condition year-round, but are afraid of the cost, RPM SAC-METRO has a cost effective solution. Clients who hire SAC-METRO know that their properties are well cared for and maintained because we perform routine maintenance and property inspections to catch small problems before they become big ones. Our Rocklin property management team inspects everything from the exterior walls, landscaping, appliances, mechanical issues, and even things as small as bathtub caulking. We have a thorough checklist to make sure we never miss a beat during our inspections. Conducting routine property inspections helps appliances last longer, saves property owners money, and keeps tenants happy.
Interior and Exterior Property Inspections
Property investors can trust SAC-METRO to conduct quarterly or semi annual property inspections. During our inspections, we cover both the inside and outside. Our property care assessments are performed by proper personnel who have the skills, experience, and education to recognize a problem if and when they see one. Below is a checklist that we follow to make sure we complete a thorough inspection.
Exterior Inspections Checklist
- Inspect the roof and check for any areas that could manifest a leak.
- Clean out rain gutters and downspouts.
- Test out the sprinkler system to make sure sprinklers are spraying the correct landscaped areas and there is little to no overspray. Rocklin property management companies have been especially sensitive to overspray as many counties in California have strict guidelines regarding irrigation since the drought. Though the drought is over, we are still conscious of water conservation.
- Prune any trees, bushes or flowers. Check for overgrowth of trees and trim tree limbs so they cannot reach second story windows. This could cause a safety hazard or lure an intruder.
- Inspect the sidewalks, driveways, and patios for cracks or caving of the cement. Restain wood decks to prevent splinters.
- Check for cracks or splitting in exterior stucco walls. If cracks are big enough to slide a quarter in, they need repairs.
- Test all door and window locks. Inspect the weather stripping and silicone seals on doors and windows to prevent drafts or leaks.
Habitability Laws and Rocklin property management companies are required to assess the conditions of rental properties to make sure they are safe. These inspections are most commonly completed during turnover, but SAC-METRO conducts regular property inspections even while it is occupied to ensure the health and safety of its tenants.
Interior Inspections Checklist
- Post a formal and proper Entry Notice on the resident’s door, informing them of the date and time frame that you will be entering the premises.
- Inspect and test all appliances to make sure they are in proper working order.
- Inspect the flooring for any tears, rips, or stains. Look for edges of flooring that could cause a tripping hazard.
- Check walls for excessive or large holes. Normal wear and tear is expected, but gaping holes should be addressed and repaired.
- Inspect toilet seat covers, glass shower doors, and stairway railings to see that they are fastened tightly and correctly.
- Change filters on air conditioning units and furnaces. Rocklin property management companies recommend regular tune ups on heating and cooling systems to prolong the life expectancy.
- Test all window blinds and replace damaged blind slats.
- Test all window and door locks. Failure to provide a secure premises could result in harm to your tenants.
- Look for any evidence of pests. Signs may manifest themselves through animal droppings or particle dust on window sills. Know which type of pests are common for housing in Rocklin and study about them accordingly.
- Enter any crawl spaces or attics to looks for leaks or pests.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace batteries as needed.
Lease Violation Checks
While inside the premises, you can also inspect for lease compliance in your home in Rocklin. Property management experts know that laws allow for a certain number of people to occupy a home depending on the number of bedrooms. A clear sign that your tenant is overcrowding their rental is when beds and clothing are out of place. For example, if you see a mattress and clothing dresser located in the living room, and more beds and clothing in the bedrooms, you can feel confident assuming that unauthorized tenants are occupying the property with your authorized tenants. Allowing unauthorized tenants to live at the property is a lease violation and the tenants listed on the lease should be notified immediately about your findings. Landlords can also check for the presence of pets. Many property management companies do not allow pets. If you are managing a No Pet Policy property, look for dog feeding bowls on the floor or a litter box. If you have a No Pet Policy and find that there is a pet living at your property, address it immediately in writing and tell the tenant a date by when the violation must be fixed.
Rocklin Property Management Team, SAC-METRO Takes Action
A way to track the condition of your property is to take pictures during your inspections. Take photos if you find a large hole or bubbling paint on the wall, mold growing on the bathroom walls, or a smoke detector that has been removed from its proper location. You can also take pictures of evidence of a lease violation like the ones listed above. After your inspection is complete, take action if needed with scheduling repairs with licensed and insured vendors. Being proactive with repairs will save property owners money in the long run. Small repairs now prevent big repairs later.
Why It Matters
When you care for your property, tenants notice. When tenants see that a landlord cares about the property and them as tenants, they will likely treat the property with more care and respect. Tenants are also more likely to report maintenance when they know it will be addressed promptly by their landlord. All of these things will save investors money, keeping their cash flow coming in on time each month. At SAC-METRO, we can do all this and more. With more than 30 years of experience, investors trust the leader of Rocklin property management companies, SAC-METRO. Call us today.