There is no denying that the way people communicate in 2018 verses 2000 has changed drastically. Do you remember when you used to pick up a landline telephone and hand dial your friend’s phone number? You had it memorized and you would chat for minutes or even hours. How often do you call friends on the phone now? Is it mostly text messages that you use to communicate? And how about that landline? Has it been disconnected and you switched over to a smartphone? A 2017 Pew Research study shows that 77% of Americans own a smartphone and among those 77% are the younger generation who are also starting to make up the majority of the workforce. Communicating in the digital age is transforming at a fast pace in every industry. The top Sacramento Property Management company, RPM SAC-METRO, is keeping up with the technology because it knows that communicating with both clients and tenants is imperative to the success of its business.
How Sacramento Property Management Companies Take Advantage of Technology
With the advantages of technology at your fingertips, SAC-METRO offers the following suggestions on how to make your life easier, by utilizing technology:
- Limit Your Paperwork – Turning to digital leasing contracts is the easiest and quickest way to make the best use of today’s technology in the property management industry. Though one piece of paper hardly takes up much space, printing lengthy lease agreements or other documents adds up quickly. With increasing real estate prices, companies can save money by cutting down on the amount of office spaced used by not having to store printed originals and copies of agreements, maintenance requests, notes, and much more. It’s also faster when looking up lease agreements or maintenance requests for references. To top it off, you get greater flexibility by having access to this information from anywhere by using cloud storage. You no longer have to be in your office to see the information you need, when you need it. Say goodbye to tenant application packets too. Rather than piling up hard copies in file cabinets, create online documents accessible with the click of a button. Have prospective tenants apply through an online screening process. Use a digital signature when signing a lease contract or application to rent. At SAC-METRO, landlords and tenants utilize online portals to view all of these documents. No more wasted time, waiting around for people to turn in paperwork. An online approach to property management in Sacramento CA is the way to go.
- Advertise and Market Online – When potential tenants are searching for houses for rent in Sacramento, they need to be able to find your information fast. There are too many competitors, and you need to be at the top of the list. Tenants do not want to drive around for hours with their eyes peeled for “For Rent” signs in the front yard. You are doing yourself a disservice by not marketing your rental home online. As a homeowner, utilizing online methods increases your profitability. You see shorter vacancy periods when using virtual resources. Use a variety of sites and resources to increase the amount of people that see your listing. Create vivid pictures, panos, 3Ds, interactive floorplans, or digital video tours of the property. These online virtual showings allow tenants to view your house at the time and place convenient for them. It’s gives them a better look at the layout of the floorplan and allows them to see more realistic features and characteristics of the house. Everyone knows photoshop can make anything look beautiful. Serious tenants want to see the real picture. Advertising online also give tenants the ability to schedule a live showing by submitting an online request and gives homeowners the greatest chance to get quality tenants into their homes.
- Client Communication – Seek out a management company that clearly communicated with its clients. SAC-METRO utilizes an online owner portal to communicate and give live updates to its clients. When clients sign a Sacramento property management agreement with SAC-METRO they automatically get access to an online owner portal. Here, they can interact with our live support team 24/7. Any questions or comments they may have about their property can be answered instantaneously. They can also view online updates on applications to rent, status of an application, see statement balances, and see when security deposit disbursements are made. SAC-METRO believes in communication and transparency.
- Tenant Communication – Sacramento investors cannot afford messy communication with their tenants. Lack of communication or messy communication is a quick recipe to end up in the courtroom. SAC-METRO ensures there is a “paper trail” of interactions. In today’s digital age, that trail applies to more than a virtual stack of papers. This includes emails, online documents, and texts as well. This does not include phone calls or in-person conversations. That’s where digital notes on the management company’s part come into play. Document everything. Otherwise, you face a high level of risk and liability if caught in a legal battle. The last thing you want is to be stuck in a he-said, she-said situation. Remember that texting may or may not stand up in a court of law. Be careful what information you choose to communicate with your tenants through text.Tenants can also pay rent and submit maintenance requests through their tenant online portal.
- Be Respectful – Choose to be respectful and make use of the Golden Rule. Words and contexts can be vague through digital communication. Speak and respond to requests and inquiries the way you would want to be treated. Do not call or text tenants, clients, or prospective tenants during hours you would not want to be contacted. When communicating, use proper grammar and spelling.
The basics of property management in Sacramento CA are the same as always. Market a property, find and screen quality tenants, maintain the property, ensure tenants are respectful of the house, stay on top of paperwork, oversee the move-out process, and get the property ready for the next tenant. But the logistics of Sacramento property management are changing with the times. Give yourself the best chance at being successful in your investment property by turning digital with paperwork, advertising online, and communicating clearly and conveniently. Call SAC-METRO today to see how we can use technology to your advantage.