You have just collected the mail and find your tenant has turned in an official 30 Day Notice to Vacate. If they are good tenants, you find yourself disappointed and maybe even stressed about the turnover process and if you will find tenants as good as the last ones. Having turnover in a home is a normal part of property management. Rocklin based company, RPM SAC-METRO, knows that having a vacancy in a rental property can leave landlords worried about making the mortgage payments on their own. The unknown of how quickly they will find a quality tenant and how to get the home rent ready can feel like a heavy burden. That is why SAC-METRO has a proven process that expedites the turnover process while getting the home rent ready, as well as aggressive marketing techniques.
Acknowledgement of Notice to Vacate
As soon as you receive the 30 Day Notice to Vacate, give your current tenants a receipt or letter to acknowledge that you have received their notice. We refer to this as the Acknowledgement of Notice. Be specific in your letter of the exact move out date, cleaning guidelines, how the disbursement of the security deposit will be allocated, and how they can turn in keys to their Rocklin property management team. In this letter, give your tenants the option to schedule a Preliminary Move Out Inspection. A Preliminary Move Out Inspection gives the landlord permission to enter the house and make notes of any repairs or replacements that will need to be done after the tenant vacates. If they choose to move forward with the Preliminary Move Out Inspection, you will have a headstart on the turnover process once vacant because you will be able to schedule the proper vendors and technicians to enter the home immediately, eliminating any down time for the property. If your tenant opts out of the Preliminary Move Out Inspection, you cannot enter the house until your resident has returned keys on the last day of occupancy.
Move Out Inspections
Rocklin property management is a competitive business. One that has too high of a price if you move slowly. If you have conducted a Preliminary Move Out Inspection, start calling and scheduling vendors for the first day of vacancy. If you did not complete a Preliminary Move Out Inspection, enter the house as soon as you receive keys. Change door locks, inspect all appliances and test them to make sure they are in working order. Check the condition of the flooring, walls, window coverings, bathroom vanities, kitchen cabinet and counters, glazing on the bathtubs and showers, and look for any signs of water damage. Inspecting one room at a time, and doing so thoroughly, will help ensure your house gets back to looking brand new for your next tenant.
- First things first, re-key the property. This includes door locks, garage codes, and mailbox keys. Property management Rocklin companies never know who may be holding on to an extra set of keys. Re-keying the property adds security. You will not be able to change locks to HOA gates, but double check that your tenant has returned all HOA keys that you issued them at the time of move in.
- If painting needs to happen, paint the entire wall instead of doing a touch-up. Too often touch-up paints do not match, making the walls appear patchy. It is worth your time or money to make certain the walls look clean and uniform.
- Hire a professional truck-mounted carpet cleaning system if carpets do not need replacing. If carpets are holding an unpleasant odor, consider replacing the padding under the carpet.
- Check the property for pests. If pest control is needed, schedule that vendor first. Getting rid of pests can sometimes take weeks or months, even with aggressive and proper treatment options.
- Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are functioning properly. Change batteries as needed.
- Spruce up the yard by trimming overgrown shrubs, replacing dead flowers or plants, mowing the lawn, and fertilizing. Property management Rocklin professionals know that curb appeal is very important when showing a rental property.
- Hire professional cleaners. It is worth the price to hire professional cleaners, rather than doing it yourself. Cleaning every nook and cranny takes a lot of time and hard work. It is usually well worth the cost, so landlord and managers can work on marketing the property, instead of scrubbing it clean.
Doing your homework to make sure you are asking the correct rental price is paramount to having success when trying to fill a vacancy. Asking for a rental price that is too high can prolong your vacancy time and leave prospective tenants disappointed after walking through your house. Pricing your home too low can result is immediate occupancy, but also a lower caliber of applicants who might be less qualified financially. The best Rocklin property management teams take the time to put together market analysis reports which compare rental listings within a close proximity. These comparisons include number of bedrooms and bathrooms, square footage, amenities, proximity to transportation and commercial access, age of the home, updates on the home, and much more. If you are just starting out with market comparisons, try looking at RentOMeter to get a general idea of the average price people are asking for similar homes in your area.
Filling Your Vacancy with Property Management in Rocklin
It is no surprise that investment property owners seek out SAC-METRO when looking to hire a professional management company. SAC-METRO has a reputation for filling homes will highly qualified tenants, faster than its competitors. At SAC-METRO, we take care of all the hassles of getting your home rent ready for you. Whether you just bought the property and are looking for your first tenants, or if you have owned the property for years and just received a Notice to Vacate from your renter. You’ll know you are in good hands when you choose SAC-METRO. Call us today.